About the Series: Good writing skills are crucial in today’s knowledge-driven world. Luckily, great writing can be systematized and taught. And it’s far more than just correct grammar. The best writing is concise, direct, concrete, and detailed. This workshop series will teach you straightforward techniques for planning, writing, and editing. Anyone can write better – what would more effective writing mean to your organization?
· Sessions 1 and 2: The workshop will begin with a cornerstone document-planning exercise, geared toward the systematic generation of message-driven draft structures that meet audiences' needs and achieve the purpose of every writing project.
· Sessions 3 and 4: The workshop will continue with workbook exercises on the unity and coherence of paragraphs (session 3) and on the clarity, conciseness, and consistency of sentences and phrasing (session 4).
While there will be no required homework, to build and consolidate skills learned during the workshop, participants will be invited to complete a brief out-of-class assignment on a voluntary basis between the second and third sessions.
· Dates: Tuesday Feb. 20, Thursday Feb. 22, Tuesday Feb. 27, and Thursday Feb. 29
· Time: 1pm-2:30pm ET
· Sponsorship: The P4VE Learning Community Managers will sponsor up to 16 Learning Community members to attend.
· Application: A brief application process will be used to select participants.
o Applications are due January 26th.
o One application per organization
o This is the second time this workshop series is being offered to P4VE Learning Community members. Participants in the previous (2023) writing workshop series are not eligible to apply for the 2024 series; however, organizations may select a different staff member to apply.
· Attendance: If selected, participation in all four sessions is required.
· Completion: Participants attending all four sessions will receive a certificate of completion.
Series Facilitator: ClearWriter is a division of Communications Development Incorporated (CDI), a Washington, D.C. communications firm. With decades of experience as writers and editors, ClearWriter has trained hundreds of managers, academics, economists, and other professionals to improve their writing.
How to Apply: To be considered for attendance at this workshop series, please complete the brief online application. Because space is limited, only one person per organization may apply. If there are more applicants than seats available, we will maintain a waitlist.
· Application due date: Applications are due no later than Jan. 26, 2024
· Notification: All applicants will be notified on February 5 of their status.
All applications will be reviewed by a team of reviewers and selected based on completeness, availability/commitment for the entire workshop, and benefits gained. Reviewers will also aim to select a group of participants that reflect the range of organizations within the Learning Community.
Who Should Apply: All Learning Community members are invited to apply, including P4VE national organizations, their subrecipients, and jurisdiction immunization programs! This series is geared toward organization managers, directors, and other staff who are responsible for writing projects within their organization (such as blog posts, grant proposals, project reports, or papers/journal articles).
Prerequisite: All applicants selected to participate will be required to submit at least one substantial (1-3 pages) sample of their writing that represents their individual work, before editing by others. Writing samples will be due on February 13, 2024. More details will be forthcoming.
Language. At this time, we are only able to offer the writing workshop series in English. Participants should be comfortable understanding and engaging with English instruction and materials. We apologize for any inconvenience this causes.